The Wicklow course was originally laid out in 1904 on a farm and it developed as a challenging nine-hole course renowned for its tight holes requiring accuracy with almost every shot and tricky greens. The old course was a demanding par 70 with 2 par 5's and four par 3's, expanding the course later on. In 1991 the land to the south of Dunbur Glen was acquired and in 1994 the present course was officially opened with eleven new greens and alterations to several other holes. Craddock & Ruddy - the course architects for the new layout - retained the difficulty factor in their design, insofar as the dependency on accuracy is still required. The course is now a par 71 with 3 par 5's and 4 par 3's and is set on 90 acres with most of the original front 9 situated on the Town side of the Glen, and the newer back 9 set on a spectacular stretch of land leading out to Wicklow head.