The Royal Golf Club of Belgium has been "Royal" since its foundation in 1906 by decision of King Leopold II. The Ravenstein Manor Farm - now the clubhouse - owes its name to its first owner, Philippe de Cleves, Squire of Ravenstein. That is why the Royal Golf Club of Belgium is sometimes still referred to as 'Ravenstein'.
The architect of the Old Course is not known, but the most plausible hypothesis is that the course has been, if not designed, at least inspired by Seymour Dunn, "the architect of the Kings". This brilliant man who was a keen golfer and even a golf teacher, was also the architect of one of the most famous courses of the world : Royal County Down in Ireland.
In 1951 P. Mackenzie Ross designed the new course with a length of 3819 meters.